Today Centennial Parklands celebrate an important green milestone as all 26 of our on-road and machinery fleet of vehicles are now run on an environmentally friendly and renewable fuel source – B20 Biodiesel. B20 is a soybean-based biodiesel blend that is 20 per cent soybean mixture and 80 per cent fossil diesel.
By reducing our dependence on fossil fuels and powering our vehicles with a renewable fuel source, we will not only improve our green footprint but reduce our carbon emissions by 20 per cent a year.
B20 produces less greenhouse gases than regular diesel and it enhances engine quality and performance of vehicles so it keeps our vehicle maintenance costs down. The money we save goes back into the maintenance and up-keep of the Parklands – where it is needed the most.
10 quirky things about soybeans:
- One acre of soybeans can produce 82,368 crayons.
- During the American Civil War, soybeans were used in place of coffee because real coffee was scarce.
- 98 percent of the soybean and livestock farms in America are family farms.
- U.S. farmers first grew soybeans as cattle feed.
- More soybeans are grown in the United States than anywhere else in the world.
- Soy ink is used to print newspapers and textbooks.
- Soybean is used in plastics, wood adhesives and textiles.
- Soybeans also find their way into candles, cleaning products and hair-care products.
- The soybean is the highest natural source of dietary fibre.
And….most importantly for today’s blog post …
- Soybean oil provides an environmentally friendly fuel for diesel engines.
Are you a soy fan? Got any more fun soybean facts to share? Or tell us your favourite soybean product?
Centennial Parklands’ new Pink Lace Bark tree planted in Centennial Park recently was the largest one trees available from a nursery and the largest in Centennial Park’s history of tree planting! Find out more about how it came to be part of the Parklands’ tree population.
The ‘wild outer’ part of Centennial Park, outside the loop of Grand Drive, provides important habitat for native plants and animals, especially bird life. Centennial Parklands is one of the easiest urban birdwatching vantage points in Sydney, on an average day you can easily see 50 bird species over its 360 hectares. There are plenty of big birds […]
The Ian Potter Children’s WILD PLAY Garden in Centennial Park is proving a hit with the kids of Sydney. Over the past week, children and their families from right across Sydney made their way to the Garden, which is designed to be an outdoor learning experience for kids of all abilities and backgrounds. It is made […]
We were very excited recently to uncover two very rare little wattle plants in the Parklands. The ‘Sunshine Wattle’ or as scientifically named, ‘Acacia terminalis subsp. Terminalis’ has large, fluffy, pale yellow flowers, and is so uncommon, there are thought to be no more than around 1,000 plants in bush regeneration areas across the state! The […]
eNEWSLETTER SUBSCRIPTIONBecome an insider - get all the latest news, events and updates first with Centennial Parklands eNewsletter.
20 March 2017
23 January 2017
05 December 2016
11 December 2017
05 December 2017
30 November 2017
12 November 2017
24 October 2017