Today Centennial Parklands celebrate an important green milestone as all 26 of our on-road and machinery fleet of vehicles are now run on an environmentally friendly and renewable fuel source – B20 Biodiesel. B20 is a soybean-based biodiesel blend that is 20 per cent soybean mixture and 80 per cent fossil diesel.
By reducing our dependence on fossil fuels and powering our vehicles with a renewable fuel source, we will not only improve our green footprint but reduce our carbon emissions by 20 per cent a year.
B20 produces less greenhouse gases than regular diesel and it enhances engine quality and performance of vehicles so it keeps our vehicle maintenance costs down. The money we save goes back into the maintenance and up-keep of the Parklands – where it is needed the most.
10 quirky things about soybeans:
- One acre of soybeans can produce 82,368 crayons.
- During the American Civil War, soybeans were used in place of coffee because real coffee was scarce.
- 98 percent of the soybean and livestock farms in America are family farms.
- U.S. farmers first grew soybeans as cattle feed.
- More soybeans are grown in the United States than anywhere else in the world.
- Soy ink is used to print newspapers and textbooks.
- Soybean is used in plastics, wood adhesives and textiles.
- Soybeans also find their way into candles, cleaning products and hair-care products.
- The soybean is the highest natural source of dietary fibre.
And….most importantly for today’s blog post …
- Soybean oil provides an environmentally friendly fuel for diesel engines.
Are you a soy fan? Got any more fun soybean facts to share? Or tell us your favourite soybean product?
Here at the Parklands, we aim to create a more sustainable environment for the Parklands and future generations. At Moore Park Golf, we recently introduced LED lighting, solar panels and water-saving all-weather turf as part of $1.9 million investment to improve the driving range, greater course and historic club house. Though our newest, most exciting innovation is […]
Centennial Parklands has valued and encouraged innovative ways to support the environment since its inception nearly 130 years ago. The Park itself was design to address the city’s burgeoning need for an “additional air lung to the city”. Since then, its legacy has been to ensure the projects we embraced were for the benefit of […]
We are very lucky to have such beautiful Parklands to enjoy, right on the doorstep of the city. While there are many strategies and initiatives in place to keep Centennial Parklands looking spectacular, every little bit of help goes a long way! You can help us by adopting the ‘leave no trace’ approach when you visit […]
The Parklands is often recognised for its beautiful vistas. From lush woodland areas to pockets of ‘semi-wild’ open paddock, to rocky outcrops, to rolling greens set before a magnificent city skyline. This edition of Photos of the Week, ‘What A View!’ is a celebration of your striking photographs of some of the most iconic and romantic aspects of Centennial Park, […]
eNEWSLETTER SUBSCRIPTIONBecome an insider - get all the latest news, events and updates first with Centennial Parklands eNewsletter.
20 March 2017
23 January 2017
05 December 2016
16 August 2017
14 August 2017
11 August 2017
09 August 2017
07 August 2017