Today is International Volunteer Day – a day to celebrate and promote the role of volunteerism in our communities. Last year, we clocked up an amazing 9,257 volunteer hours on projects across Centennial Parklands – almost doubling our volunteer hour contributions over the past two years!
The Centennial Parklands Foundation manages the Centennial Parklands volunteer program, and has around 28 individual programs operating throughout the year. While many of our volunteers come through the Centre for Volunteering, increasingly we have more volunteer hours contributed through our partnership with Conservation Volunteers Australia and through corporate volunteering opportunities.
Volunteers are often the lifeblood of many community organisations, and we are no different. We value our volunteers and want to recognise them again through highlighting a collection of our favourite blog posts on volunteering in Centennial Parklands to date.
If you missed them, or are new to the blog, this is a great cross-section of what’s possible and what’s inspirational about our volunteers – often the unsung heroes!
- See how corporate volunteers have been restoring an iconic feature of Centennial Park
- See which of our volunteers are for the birds!
- See which long running volunteer team has been quietly restoring endangered species right in front of your eyes
- See which organisation is bringing volunteers to the Parklands by the busload (literally!)
- See which bankers are getting their hands dirty for a good cause
- See well and truly behind the scenes – and deep behind the doors of our archive room
- See a heartwarming and award-winning volunteer program that is making a real difference in people’s lives
We could go on and on, but we’ll stop there. We hope that we’ve shared some behind-the-scenes stories with you and you – like us – have a deep appreciation for the role of volunteering in Centennial Parklands.
Happy International Volunteer Day!
– – –
Want to find out more about volunteering? We recommend heading to the following websites:
While most of our volunteer programs are currently full, if you want to make an enquiry about corporate volunteering, visit the Centennial Parklands Foundation’s website. Alternately, Conservation Volunteers Australia are often looking for volunteers on projects in Centennial Parklands and other parts of Sydney.