Springtime in Sydney often means one thing – time to get outdoors and have a picnic with family and friends. And Centennial Parklands is one of the most popular picnic destinations in Sydney!
While we welcome all to come and enjoy, we ask one key thing – please help keep Centennial Parklands beautiful.
Waste is a real challenge in such a big and busy parklands. In the last year there were:
- 25,033 bin lifts of general waste bins (475 tonnes of waste)
- 8,243 bin lifts of recycled waste bins (124 tonnes of waste)
- 14,455 bin lifts of organic waste from the Equestrian Centre
- 35.5 tonnes of waste were removed from our waterways by gross pollutant traps
- 460 cubic metres of woodchip was generated (if you piled this into a 1m square box it would be taller than the Empire State Building, or around 1.5 times the height of the Sydney Tower!)
NB: ‘bin lifts’ represent how many times a waste disposal truck has emptied a Parklands waste bin
An avoidable problem…
While we empty our bins regularly, on very busy weekends some bins fill up quicker than others. When this occurs, some park visitors leave the waste stacked next to the bin. This should be avoided at all costs!
Well, if you do this your waste:
- can be blown around by the wind, spreading across the park, and entering our waterways;
- can encourage scavenging by various birds and animals, causing numerous issues (e.g. attracting rodents, becoming choking hazards); and
- increases the cost burden on the Parklands to clean it up.
We need your help!
Our Parklands bins are colour coded and clearly labelled with large stickers on the front to assist with guiding you on what is appropriate in each bin (red = general waste, yellow = recycled waste).
Every little helps…
With your help from improved recycling, we estimate that up to 30 tonnes of aluminium cans, and glass and PET bottles will be diverted annually from the Parklands non-recycled waste stream. Little steps can make big differences!
Report waste issues
If you are visiting Centennial Parklands and are concerned by a waste issue, please contact the Parklands Office on (02) 9339 6699 (or out of office hours: 0412 718 611).
Please enjoy the Parklands – but please help keep the Parklands beautiful.
Thank you for your support.
Just as you support the health of our environment, support your own health as well. Subscribe to our monthly Health and Fitness eNewsletter for tips, advice and upcoming events and activities that will help improve your life. Subscribe here.